Monday, September 29, 2008

Time Keeps Tickin' Tickin' Tickin'


Moving day keeps creeping closer and closer, as does the Hanson concert. But I must say, if I'm leaving I couldn't have chosen a better sendoff than Hanson! I'm hoping my best 2 childhood friends will be able to join me and we can really make it a last hoorah for the books. After we leave who knows when or if I'll get to see them again. I hate to think like that, but schedules conflict and people get busy... well, I'm sure you know too. A week and a half, wow. It's come so much quicker than I thought it would.

Since we will be in serious winter weather this year I am going to be putting together a winter weather/emeregency kit. Sort a diaster preparedness thing but with cold weather items thrown in there. Here is a really great list of some essentials that I am using to guide me in putting my kit together.

You should have available:

A flashlight and extra batteries.
Battery-powered NOAA weather radio and portable radio to receive emergency information. These may be your only links to the outside.
Extra food and water. High-energy food, such as dried fruit or candy, and food requiring no cooking or refrigeration is best.
Extra medicine and baby items.
First aid supplies.
Heating fuel. Fuel carriers may not reach you for days after a severe winter storm.
Emergency heating source, such as a fireplace, wood stove, space heater, etc. Learn to use properly to prevent a fire, and be sure to have proper ventilation.
Fire extinguisher and smoke detector. Test your units regularly to ensure they are working properly.
In cars and trucks, plan your travel and check the latest weather reports to avoid the storm! Fully check and winterize your vehicle before the winter season begins.

Carry a winter storm survival kit including the following items:

Blankets/sleeping bags
Flashlight with extra batteries
First-aid kit
Knife
High-calorie, non-perishable food
Extra clothing to keep dry
A large empty can and plastic cover with tissues and paper towels for sanitary purposes
A can, candles and water-proof matches to melt snow for drinking water
Sack of sand (or cat litter)
Shovel
Windshield scraper and brush
Tool kit
Tow rope
Booster cables
Water container
Compass and road maps.
Keep your gas tank near full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.

Try not to travel alone, and be sure to let someone know your travel plans - your timetable and route.

0 Comments: